Aboriginal Health Human Resources Initiative
A career in a health profession is definitely a challenge. For Aboriginal people, the challenge is more significant, as there are unique obstacles to overcome. But, the challenge can and often does become a very personal reward. Aboriginal health professionals and paraprofessionals can make valuable contributions in improving the health of their own people, and increasing the autonomy of Native health services, and become vital members of the health care system in Canada.
The Health Careers within the Confederacy of Treaty No. 6 First Nations is committed to the recruitment and retention of our peoples of the 18 First Nations to enter into the Health Field as Professionals. Success is assisted by the Coordination of the development and maintenance of networking and establishing of linkages within the First Nation communities, Post Secondary Institutions, and potential Health Care employers. The supply and demand of the First Nations is observed through the visitations of Health centres and schools. The barriers and shortages that our peoples face can be addressed with the communality of respect our customs and with the understanding of our history.
The sharing of information of Post Secondary enrolment requirements with students, (Junior and Senior High School), exposes new opportunities to choices in preparing their academic pathway to success. The enrolment of the students into post secondary institutions can then be a transition and not a culture shock.
The Guiding Principles for the AHHRI are:
- First Nations, Inuit and Metis will be meaningful engages in all aspects of HHR planning;
- Activities will be respectful of the diversity of First Nations, Inuit and Metis cultures and traditions;
- Activities will be collaborative and aligned with the needs of First Nations, Inuit and Metis;
- Processes put in place through the AHHRI will be based on equity, transparency and accountability;
- The AHHRI will be accessible and priority-driven; and,
- The AHHRI will not replace, but rather build upon and leverage existing activites.
For more information on AHHRI please click on the link: