Treaty No. 6 Press Releases:
Chief Cameron Alexis declared winner in the election for Regional Chief for the Assembly of First Nations
- Edmonton, Alberta, Treaty Six Territory, January 31, 2013, – The Confederacy of Treaty No. 6 First Nations are pleased to announce Chief Cameron Alexis of the Alexis Nakota Sioux upon his election as Regional Chief for Assembly of First Nations. The elections for Regional Chief were held at the Assembly of Treaty Chiefs held in Calgary, Alberta on January 31st, 2013. Chief Alexis handily won the election on the first ballot by garnering 25 votes out of 45, which met the election requirement of 50% plus one vote.
- “On behalf of the Chiefs of the Confederacy, I extend heartfelt congratulations to Chief Alexis. We have enjoying working with Cam at the Confederacy Chiefs tables, and although we will miss working with him at that level, we look forward to working with him at the regional and national level. We know that he will do his best to support the Assembly of Treaty Chiefs and to bring our issues and Treaty positions to the forefront,” stated Grand Chief Craig Makinaw.
- Chief Alexis is very well-versed in national issues, and issues at the First Nations and grassroots level. He has represented the Confederacy of Treaty No. 6 at the United Nations level and given testimony at the parliamentary committee level. His time in First Nations leadership has provided him an understanding of the importance of communication and working collaboratively.
- “The Executive Committee of the AFN will certainly benefit from his knowledge and expertise,” concluded the Grand Chief.
- The Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations represents the 18 First Nations in Treaty No. 6 Territory in what is now known as the province of Alberta.
- For further information please contact:
The Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations
Phone: (780) 984-7316